The Nine Things You Need to Elope Like Rockstars
Now that you’ve decided that the best thing for you and your partner is an elopement, you need to make sure you have everything you need to pull it off. While it is so much simpler than planning a wedding with a guest list, there are still some things you need to plan for.
Here’s your micro-checklist for planning your Calgary or Rocky Mountain elopement:
1. Marriage license: Each province has its own laws for these, so make sure you know what they are well in advance. You can visit any Calgary Registry to apply for a marriage license, but don't wait 'til last minute...
2. Officiant: I know I'm stating the obvi here, but a marriage ceremony must be performed by an authorized marriage officiant. It can either be a registered religious marriage officiant or an appointed Calgary marriage commissioner. Both are equally legal in Alberta. Make sure you find one that "jives with your vibe," as I like to say.
3. Rings: Actually, you don’t have to have rings. There are many alternatives for couples who just aren’t that type. You could do matrimonial tattoos. Or even vials of blood a la Angelina Jolie. (Or not!)
4. Clothing: Yup. You need clothes for your wedding. Although, if you searched hard enough, you could probably find a nudist colony somewhere in the world that facilitates weddings. But if you'd rather pledge your love to your love fully dressed, then you're gonna need a couple of loin cloths - at minimum.
5. Photography: This is a must! Though you’re wanting to keep it sweet and simple, you’ll want to look back on the day for years to come. And you’ll want to share photos with your closest family and friends, right?! Plus, there are sooooooo many creative, storytelling wedding photographers in Calgary, Canmore and Banff to choose from.
6. Vows: You don’t have to write your own, but we sure love it when our couples’ do!
7. Flowers: Wedding flowers are a sweet touch, even if there's only two of you. A gorgeous bouquet and cute boutonniere can make the day feel that much more special.
8. Hair and makeup: Just because there’s only going to be two of you, why not splurge on a little pampering so you’ll look your best in those amazingly romantic photos?!
9. Post-nuptial plans: If you’re eloping somewhere outside of your hometown, why not treat yourself to a night (or a week!) in a cozy hotel room somewhere in the Rocky Mountains where you can bask in the celebration of the love you just pledged. If you’re close to home, dinner and drinks at your favourite Calgary restaurant is the perfect way to end the perfect day.